Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pickleball: Indoors or Outdoors?

Pickleball: Indoors vs. Outdoors. The debate rages over where players would rather play. I have played both and I love playing both. But I would probably define myself as an indoor pickleball player primarily, that loves the outdoor game of pickleball second. Being a younger player on the west coast of British Columbia, I do not have access to outdoor pickleball courts without having to drive a fair distance to have access to some outdoor courts, and I'm not old enough to be able to live 3-6 months of the year down south playing pickleball 24/7. Pickleball played indoors or outdoors is the same rules, with primarily the same equipment, but different in how you have to adjust your playing styles. When I'm playing indoors I regularly use the indoor Jugs ball on a hardwood gym floor, and I love to be able to dive for balls to get the point. Barring any malfunction in the air-conditioner I don't have to worry about any wind gusts that will not allow my ball to go where I aim it. Now take the outdoors, I have to take into account the higher bouncing dura ball against the hard pavement, the wind gusts, or the sun that may blind me. I am definitely not harping on outdoor pickleball or saying I love it less. i love playing outdoor pickleball for those unknowns I just mentioned. I played the other night and I almost could have appeared amateurish in my playing ability. In my singles match I was pulverized by my friend due to all my own unforced errors when I didn't take into account the wind, or his spin when it reacted to the pavement. We would love to hear from you! What do you love/dislike about playing pickleball indoors or love/dislike about pickleball outdoors?

3 comments:

  1. All that is very true but you haven't touched on the players, their mentality or prowess.
    Here in AZ, a virtual hotbed of PB,I notice one stark and glaring difference. Not sure how it is in BC.
    The players that play outdoors are much more savvy, competitive and display more maturity and skill.
    In sharp contrast to that, the indoor variety likes to chat more and to say, have mostly a social and recreational outlook would be an understatement. So many bad sports, I mean pathetically shabby and unadult like childish behavior. In the end, I just laugh it off as immaturity befitting a child throwing temper tantrums or sulking.
    They sit and gossip about others, and even go so far as to be mean spirited and sneaky. It's everything totally contrary to what I've known and embraced as good sportsmanship. Honestly, I could bring myself to write a book on the subject.
    It's just uncouth! I'd play outdoors only but why should I give up the indoors when it's hot or raining, just because of some sulkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. We play a good mix of both here in SLC. Outside and inside. It sounds like you've had a bad experience somewhere. I have experienced unsportsmanlike conduct both inside and out. Mostly, however, people are good sports overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outdoor, it's faster.

    ReplyDelete